Show Full File Paths in Finder
Luke,on the topic of  Apple
02.23.2009   |   6comment

The only real gripe I have had about OSX is that when I have a file highlighted in the Finder I want to look at a glance somewhere to see where exactly that file is. I have actually had a couple discussions with others that have not switched to a Mac because of this. I just lived on wondering why this feature was not available. Then I stumbled upon this in my RSS reader. The good guys over at TUAW had an answer! Once enabled, this is what you will see in any open Finder window.

picture-2_terminal-tips_-enable-path-view-in-finder_cb12793

To get this working on your mac open a terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and then paste in this script and press enter. You will have to restart Finder to see your new and improved window.

defaults write com.apple.finder _FXShowPosixPathInTitle -bool YES

6 Comments

1. Joseph says:

What a great trick! Sometimes when I’m in terminal, I feel like I might accidentally blow up my machine, but after running that script it’s still in tact, thankfully.

2. Mike says:

It didn’t blow up? Hmm… try running it again.

3. Luke says:

I’ll look into why it didn’t give you the blow up effect. . . Everyone else seems to at least get smoke coming out of their Mac. :)

4. Jared says:

What’s wrong with just going to View -> Show path bar in finder?

5. Mike says:

Thanks for pointing that out Jared, I never realized you could do that. Plus, doing it that way allows you to click through the path. I decided to keep both going anyway, just because I’m used to seeing the path at the top now.

6. Jared says:

I believe I’ll be adding it to the top using your terminal trick as well. Great looking blog design by the way… and I like the new site design as well.